Friday, July 4, 2014

Update: Finally Moved Out

Finally it has happened.

I have moved into my own place, and am the sovereign of my own apartment. My parents are now back in Australia, and I am here by myself. After 22 years I no longer live with my folks. Finally.

How do I feel about this?

On the one hand it's awesome. I really value my alone time; I can do things at my own pace, and I don't have to answer to any one. As I said, I'm the sovereign here.

But on the other hand, I fear that I'm going to starve to death; sort of. I am not used to managing a budget, nor really feeding myself. When I was at home there was always something to eat, but now I need to be the one to make something to eat -- or I can buy something and easily piss away my budget, because I have awful spending habits.



So I need to develop a balanced monetary habit on the one hand, and compliment that by learning how to cook, or at least prepare home-made food.

That sort of freaks me out, but I have confidence that I will learn with time.

I don't share my apartment with a roommate, I live alone. From my position this is preferable because I am pretty new here and have yet to develop a proper circle of friends, and I utterly refuse to move into someone else's apartment and have to follow their rules, and at the same time, I wouldn't want to have a roommate in my apartment who eventually got on my nerves. So for now I'm on my own.

I don't really get lonely as much as I get bored from a lack of social interaction, but this will become meaningless as I develop a social circle I guess.

My apartment is only a couple of blocs away from the one I was staying at with my parents when they were here, so it's still in the same area --which is important to me because I wanted to be in the old area of the city/in the city center. There's quite a bit of traffic just outside my window, both in terms of hot guys and road vehicles. My grindr has become more active again despite being only a few blocs up from where I was before; I guess this isn't a bad thing.


What else…


I have decided to start university here next year because this gives me one year to learn the language properly --which makes studying here much easier.

What are my interim plans? I have to get in contact with a couple of people my age who I already "sort of" know, and I need to meet some professors that have been recommended to me by various people my parents and family friends know. I also might take language lessons, and maybe even give some in English, like tutoring or something.

There's also a girl I went to high school with in Australia, who moved here too. So I need to eventually catch up with her.


I'll be writing more soon, incorporating my experience of living alone, and I'll also write 'Dilemma Part II' soon as well. That's an unfinished story.


If you dudes have any tips or experience with living alone/moving into your own place, share them with me, because I need all the help I can get hah.

1 comment:

  1. The biggest tip I can give you as far as managing your food budget is to buy as many BOGO's as you can if your local grocery store offers them and to find a local farmers' market. You'll not only be eating for cheap, but most likely organic...and giving back to local farmers. Plus, if you become friends with the venders at green markets, they'll probably give you free food here and there. The majority of farmers' markets are seasonal, especially where I live, so check online and see which ones are open this time of year. Lastly, browse Groupon and Living Social for cooking class deals. That would be a fun way to make new friends and learn how to cook, double win :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete